Friday, December 7, 2012

Chia pet - day two: Germination and contemplations


As promised, here's another blog entry as I dive into the world of chia.

After 24 hours, the chia seeds on Hello Kitty have stared to germinate. One thing that the Chia Pet commercials don't tell you is that it is very difficult to get the stupid seeds to stay in place. Even though Hello Kitty has grooves in her head, the seeds have a tendency to slide off. If you have a touch of OCD like me, this may drive you a little nuts. I wanted Hello Kitty to have perfectly spaced seeds, but that's not going to happen. Silly chia seeds...how dare you defy me!


If you look closely at the photos, you can see that one or two of the seeds are starting to germinate (or sprout?).  It really didn't take long. Chia seeds are mostly gray, but can be white, black or speckled. Quite fascinating.

You can see here that the seeds have slid off their original groove placement. When I try to fix the gaps, the seeds end up sliding off the grooves. I just gave up after a while. The problem is that Hello Kitty is very porous and is constantly leaking water. She needs to be porous in order to keep the seeds moist, but the surface of her skin is basically a "slip and slide". Oh well.


If you know me, you know that I followed the directions on how to make a Chia Pet to the letter. Somehow, I have a TON of left over chia seeds. The directions say this will happen, but I have too many left over in my opinion. I tried putting them on Hello Kitty, but they just slide right off. So what to do with all those extra seeds? I could eat them, but I decided to see if I could try to plant them...in my Chia Grass planter. My brother got me the Chia Grass planter last Christmas (I guess the Chia Pets were all sold out; I guess it's the thought that counts).


If something interesting with the these seeds, I'll let you know.

Finally, after giving Hello Kitty a fresh batch of water, I've placed her in a place of honor in my apartment.  Okay, not really. I only have one spot that I can place all of my plants (close to the window for sunlight, but not too close cause it's cold there).  I had to place a plastic bag over her head to keep the seeds damp; I should be able to remove it in another 2-3 days. Hopefully, something interesting will be happening then.


In closing, it's been a very interesting birthday. I got lots more love from folks on facebook than last  year, saw a movie in an actual theatre (Lincoln (directed by Steven Spielberg)...go see it) and I was contacted by an old friend I haven't heard from in years.  It was one of those days that makes you think that anything is possible.

Note: If you happen to share a birthday with someone and that other person says "Happy Birthday" to you on Facebook and you don't say it back, that is not cool and you are a jerk.



No comments:

Post a Comment